Saturday, October 1, 2011

VeganMoFo 2011: Sushi in TJ / intro

Hello everyone!
I've neglected my blog u_u
I haven't posted since December but this is a special occasion, so I plan on reviving VMF with posts about what/where to eat in my city, where to find (coughOVERPRICEDcough) vegan american goodies and even what to do : )

I love sushi.
I eat sushi very very frequently and I don't feel ashamed to admit it.

This is the easiest way to get vegan food in TJ. Go to a sushi/japanese place.
Order the veggie roll sans cream cheese and you're good to go.
There are some places that don't offer a vegetarian roll, but I've never had a problem when asking for a "cucumber and avocado only" roll.

Some places even sell steamed edamame and veganizable tofu appetizers (I'd like my tofu with no bonito flakes, por favor).

Anyway, here are some pictures:

This roll here is the California Roll 55 pesos promotion from a place called Sushi House (Sushi House Express). You get two rolls for the price of one.
Well, this is obviously not a cali roll, but since the veg roll isn't on the menu that's the "official" name of this dish.


This roll is from a place that's across the street from my boyfriend's parents' house but I can't remember its name!!
Their rolls are okay, but a little pricey.


This other roll is from Sushi Express as well, but this time with carrots, tons of lime-y soy sauce and sriracha : D


There are other great sushi places but I have no pictures u__u
My second favorite is Komasa. They have a delicious vegan roll that's filled with sweet and tangy pickled japanese veggies, carrots, cucumber and avocado, edamame and those veganizable tofu appetizers I talked about in the beginning of this post.

AKI sushi is another restaurant I enjoy. Last night I had edamame and a veggie roll filled with carrots, cucumber, avocado and radish sprouts.

Well. My first MoFo post of this year has reached its end. Hopefully, I'll go to Komasa to show you what else you can get at japanese restaurants and post some more pics in here.

: D

8 comments:

  1. vamos al sushi del hijo de don pepe : p

    ReplyDelete
  2. No sushi shame! I love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that Komasa roll sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for starting MoFo with sushi! I love the sound of lime soy, I'll have to try that next time I make sushi.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, I love sushi too! I do what you do, I just ask places if their avocado rolls contain mayo and if they don't, I order some.

    And yes, you should make tamales for Christmas!

    I'm glad your blog is back, Andi :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Any other suggestions for where to eat vegan in TJ (particularly as a tourist)?

    ReplyDelete