Thursday, June 11, 2009

"Huevo" con chorizo

Steamy/crappy picture of the result


I love soy chorizo...I've been eating it since forever, because my mom (I'm not really sure why) prefered to buy that kind rather than the pork or beef kinds.
The only problem I have with chorizo is that it's way too oily.
I used to dream of soy chorizos that I didn't have to press to get most of the oil out..(not !)
But, we all know that won't happen (ever).
That's why I tried to make my own.It doesn't taste better, but at least isn't extremely oily like the some store-bought kinds.

Chorizo

Ingredients:
1/2 cup TVP
Water
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 tbsp. vegetable oil1 tbsp. paprika
1 tsp. guajillo chile powder
Onion salt/salt to taste

Pour hot water over the TVP and let it absorb all the water. If there's some water left, drain the tvp.
In a small bowl, mix the vinegar and the oil until almost emulsified.
Add the other ingredients and mix well.
With a spoon, pour small amounts of the marinade over the tvp until all the granules are covered.
Put the chorizo in a foil sheet and roll to form a sausage (you know how to make seitan sausages right ? it's the same procedure, only the mix is crumbly rather than elastic).
Put the roll in the fridge and leave it there for a day and a half.

Okay..I didn't like the flavor (I went all crazy with the paprika, so it has a sweet hint).But..I had to give it a chance, at least for this other recipe... Chorizo Tofu Scramble !

Chorizo-Tofu scramble

Ingredients:

1/3 chorizo "sausage"
1/3 block firm tofu
1/4 tsp. garlic salt
2 tsp. nutritional yeast

Put a skillet in medium heat; add the tofu and mash it.
Mix in the salt and the nooch.
Add the chorizo; mix. Serve with some tabasco sauce and corn tortillas or a bread slice ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment